January 26, 2011

Love Story: Ruby & Ryan

Our Story - By Ruby

I first saw Ryan on my school bus as a kid. I didn't remember it until a few years ago when I realized he used to ride my school bus with another boy in my neighborhood. I actually met Ryan in high school. He was younger than me, but we were in the same art class. He sat across the room from me and was very loud. I noticed he had a big personality, enjoyed being the center of attention, and like flirting with the girls in my class. I made sure to make a point that it wasn't "easy" to get me attention - but of course, he already had it.

Eventually Ryan showed up at my group's table and suddenly began sitting with us every day. At first, I wasn't really sure why he wanted to sit with us, but quickly learned that he knew one of the guys at the table. We were the "funny" table and Ryan wanted to be apart of it, he was the perfect fit. After awhile I realized Ryan and I had a lot in common. We were both entertainers, we enjoyed making people laugh, and loved to have fun. Soon we were both getting into trouble for having too much fun! Before I knew it, my art teacher wanted to know what was going on (Mr. Beck was kind of a protective teacher). He asked, "is there anything going on with you and Ryan?" I laughed and explained we were "just friends."





That friendship continued for about a year and a half. After more than a year of just being friends and sharing some broken hearts we began to think of each other differently...

We discovered that what we were looking for all along was right under our nose. We began dating in high school and to our surprise, it continued and continued. Ryan and I tried to "see other people" but it never worked out. It was extremely hard for us to believe that we had found "the one" at such a young age. We went months apart not talking or seeing each other and the moment we were reunited, we rediscovered ourselves. Distance never changed how we felt about each other, it made us realize that we needed each other.

The truth is, Ryan and I have spent the past 12 years of our relationship loving each other and building memories. We've also spent some time learning from our mistakes. We've learned to be independent and to value one another's company. Overall, we've learned the true meaning of forgiveness, to embrace our differences, respect and support each other, to listen with compassion and love, and most importantly - to use a sense of humor.

The Proposal - By Ryan

The day of the proposal was a long time coming. I know "it's about time." But the path to getting there was much harder than I expected. I proposed to Ruby on August 3rd, but I had the ring for 5 months prior to that. Knowing that after a 10 year courtship it had to be the monumental display, I had several ideas and options. I thought of a trip to Vegas (since this is where I gave Ruby her promise ring). I considered a Detroit Lake proposal out on the boat at sunset. I even called a hot air balloon company but feared that Ruby would panic at the thought of being 1,000 feet up in the air with nothing but a wicker basket holding us up...

The initial conclusion was Detroit Lake - after all, we've had so many memorable moments out there. The ring was ready, safely secured in my fishing vest pocket, the timing was right...then...Manny (Ruby's brother) showed up and spoiled my plan. Ruby was excited to see her brother and I couldn't really see my picture perfect proposal going down with my soon to be brother in law looking over my shoulder.

Alas the day came that Ruby and I moved out of Amy and Ryan's 100-degree attic and into our new house in Beaverton. I had told Roobs that we would be engaged before we moved into our new house and yet here we were, the night of the move in, and I had still not found the right moment to pop the question.

So I said enough is enough - if I can't find the right mountain top or sunset, I will just follow my heart and let the rest just happen. I picked up a couple of our favorites (halibut for Ruby and NY steak for me) and headed home with flowers to celebrate our first night in our new house. The night was HOT and we ended up having a picnic on the living room floor. Candlelight, music, along with a bottle of champagne my mom had left for us to toast to our new nest, made the moment perfect. We dinned and celebrated a new chapter of our lives together.

The ring was in my pocket, bulging out and weighing me down as I nervously searched for the right moment. Ruby, slightly tipsy, asked me "why are you acting funny?" as she glanced down at my hand as it reached, yet again, into the left pocket. I smiled, dropped to one knee, and asked her to be my wife.

After several seconds of disbelief, Ruby removed the hands from her mouth, paused from saying "oh my gosh," and said YES!

*The top picture is of Ruby and Ryan from 2000! The engagement pictures are by Lisa Smith and Blake Brinker.*

3 comments:

  1. Very sweet! they both look so young!!! I love their story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I LOVE their story! That top picture of them is from 2000 - so 11 years ago! I can't wait for their wedding - it's going to be so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete