August 5, 2009

6.29.2007 Wedding ~ The Wedding That Started It All

The first wedding that I coordinated was for my friends, Krista and Travis back in 2007. I had known Travis since our freshman year at Oregon State (2003) and he was one of my closest friends. Fast forward two years: he told me he needed a favor because one of his best friends (Krista) needed a place to live asap. I had only met her once or twice, but I had an available room so I said of course! Little did I know that Krista and I would still be such close friends. She was actually one of my bridesmaids!

Anyway, through the years (yes, since 2003) Travis would always confide in me about how he knew Krista was the one but she just didn't know it yet. Krista was going to school to become a veterinarian, so she spent a LOT of time studying and always said she didn't have time for a relationship with anyone. She kind of knew Travis had a thing for her, but she didn’t know that he would wait as long as he needed until she was ready.

Well...during a wonderful trip to Cabo San Lucas in December of 2005 (there was about 12 of us) Krista and Travis pulled me aside and told me they were dating! Now, Travis is a very patient man and waited over 2 years for the chance to date the woman he knew was the one the whole time. Needless to say it was about time they were a couple!

Things blossomed from there and they were engaged about a year or so later with the wedding taking place on June 29th. One day, a few months before the wedding, Krista calls me and asked me to be her wedding coordinator! I instantly said yes! However, then I started to think about how much responsibility it was but her confidence in me gave me the determination to give 110% (or more, whatever it took to give my all) so she would NOT be disappointed.

I showed up at 9 am (yes, I was the only one there) to start setting up all of the flowers (a trailer full of them), tables, do the centerpieces, set up the aisle and the arch, you name it, I did it! I even brought some snacks and drinks for the wedding party, knowing they would be there for a long time before it was time for dinner.

Now, as we all know, things can and do go wrong and not according to plan. That's okay, that's what a wedding coordinator is for! I quickly realized how important it is to get to know the bride, so I know how she would handle the situation. I could give you a list of all the little things that had to be decided, trips to the store for necessary dinnerware items, additions to the "timeline" that were forgotten, but to Krista, her day was perfect. She knew nothing of all the little things that needed to be done around her to make her day run perfectly. When I overheard her and Travis talking about how perfect their day was as they were getting ready to leave. My heart melted. I knew that I had met their expectations. What I didn't know was that I found in myself the true desire and passion to make every bride walk away from their wedding and talking to their new husband about how perfect their day was.

Wedding photo by Crystal Nelson Photography
Cabo photo by me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment